5.17.2013

Oops! Left the filter on!

So, I got wrapped up in so much life stuff that I didn't write. My bad. Perhaps the idea of a blog, although intriguing, is not the best idea for me. I was looking for a little literary therapy, but got overwhelmed by the thought of prolonged productivity. At least, that is what I'm blaming it on.

When one is writing for oneself in a public forum (which at last count was one other individual), you somewhat alter what you're going to say. My wife refers to this as my "filter", which she wishes was more successful at retaining things than it is. I say that to say that I have been through a lot in the past few months.

The illusion of being "busy" has kept me from doing something I enjoy doing, which is being philosophical. The danger of being locked into a situation is that your filter becomes overactive. Despite my wife's wishes, filters can hamper what is really going in our minds.

I have been struck by the superficiality of much of what we do in church over the past few months. When you really get down to it, we tend (we being the church in the U.S.) not to get to "it" at all. We focus on a bunch of things that don't really matter. As I look back over the past six months, there is a bunch of stuff that really doesn't matter to me as much now as it did back then.

While I write this, I am being passively subjected to a conversation that is recounting the past several years of two long lost acquaintances' lives. Annoying on many levels, and quite mundane. Yet, truly this emphasizes my point. What are we doing that is really impacting lives? I think that is where I want to be. At the point of impact. Superficiality is a relentless vacuum, robbing us of time and effort that could be spent on making an impact in a life. What can we do?

Apart from never picking up a People magazine again, I am going to challenge myself to look for the opportunities to make an impact. Availability is what God is looking for, not talent. I want to leave superficiality in the dust. Hopefully I shall be able to do just that.

Peace, people (or person).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I appreciate any feedback I get, but I want to be careful which comments I post. Please be respectful!